Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Queen's Jubilee



I can remember, as a very small child, that we closed our street down and put tables in the road for the Queen's Coronation party.

We had huge banners across the street and hundreds of Union Jacks on sticks, mountains of cake, and I think this has to be my most vivid memory of early childhood.

I seems amazing that this was sixty years ago, and if you think that she is about to hand it off to Prince Charles, then think again.

I have had several opportunities of photographing Her Majesty. My first was in Bermuda, on the 16 to the 18th of February, 1975, when I worked in the Bermuda Police Photography department.  I was assigned to accompany her for the entire Royal visit.

As she boarded the plane at the end of the trip, I was thoroughly exhausted as she indeed has the most grueling schedule you can imagine.

 I often have wondered how she keeps up that pace.

The accompanying photographs of her with Prince Philip and the Commonwealth Ambassadors were taken during her visit to the United States in 1991.



You also might enjoy this clip from YouTube that shows some interesting behind-the-scenes moments:




I think that one of the main reasons I like the Queen is because she reminds me of my Mum! 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post.

    FWIW, I know someone who travels with HM (security) now and apparently she hasn't slowed down much since then.

    ReplyDelete